A classic nordic recipe, the sautéed reindeer meat is served with mashed potato, forest mushrooms and lingonberries; a dish that will keep you going even on the coldest winter day.
- 400 g reindeer chuck (pre-sliced)
- 500 g potatoes
- 2 yellow onions
- 20 cl cream
- 1 tsp cognac
- 20 ml milk
- 100 g butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp lingonberries
- 1 cup pickled cornichons
- salt & pepper
- Finely chop onion and separate the meat into small even pieces on a plate.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into quarters and cook for 20 minutes after boiling.
- Pre-heat a pan with a tbsp of oil. Add the onion into the pan and lower the heat to medium, let the onion caramelise and get transparent.
- Add the fine pieces of the reindeer meat and let it sear with the onion, toss the pan frequently.
- Add cream and stir, add the soya and stir finish of with the cognac and let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, heat milk in a pan add the potatoes and mash them with a fork, incorporate the nutmeg, whisk until a smooth even consistency.
- To serve, divide the mash and the meat on plates with some pickled cornichons, lingonberries and a bit of chopped parsley.