The natural meat from free-living reindeer is a delicacy, especially when smoked. While retaining a mild gamey flavour, smoking the meat adds another dimension to the taste and texture, intensifying its unique taste.
Smoked Reindeer Salad
- 500 g smoked reindeer
- 2 tbsp grated horseradish
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1/2 onion
- salt & pepper
- 4 tbsp Kalix Löjrom
- Finely dice the smoked reindeer meat.
- Mix with grated horseradish, chopped parsley, mayonnaise and crème fraîche, season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions. Then, heat up about an inch of oil in a large, deep pot. Once hot (over medium heat), add the onion and allow them to fry until browned and crispy (2-4 minutes). Stir occasionally to make sure they’re frying evenly. When ready, remove the onions from the oil and place them over a layer of paper towel to absorb any excess oil (optionally blot the top with a second sheet).
- Take the bread and put reindeer mix on top. Garnish with fried onions.
- Put one tbsp of Kalix Löjrom on top of each Smørrebrød.